• Consider installing an alarm system and security cameras
• Did you know today’s technology allows you to monitor your alarms and cameras live on your smart devices? These devices can also send you notifications when motion is detected on your property. Note: Do not neglect motion sensors or contact alarms on 2nd storey and basement levels
• Install a quality deadbolt lock
• Protect your doors from forced entry by installing larger strike plates and longer screws
•Install door edge guards to strengthen the door from splitting
Window and patio door security:
•Installing screws, pin locks or wedging a piece of wood will help prevent doors and windows from being lifted off their tracks
•Installing Security Laminate Film will delay and possibly deter any glass break entries through windows, glass panels and patio doors
•Ensure all windows are locked and have contact alarms including 2nd storey
•Do not leave tools or ladders outside your home
•Don’t keep valuables in the master bedroom. It’s the first place thieves look
•Remove large quantities of cash and jewelry from your home and place it in a safety deposit box or install a secured safe at home that cannot be moved
•Install motion lighting around your home and consider light timers when away
•If away for an extended period of time, have someone shovel your driveway, remove newspapers or flyers and if possible, park a vehicle in the driveway to make it appear that someone is home
REPORT ANY SUSPICIOUS PEOPLE OR VEHICLES
Immediately call 9-1-1 if you observe any suspicious activities, vehicles or people. When safe to do so, try to obtain vehicle license plate, make and model of the vehicle. Do not follow the suspect vehicle or chase suspects
Enhancing Fire Safety Education and Prevention in the City of Markham
Residents can help make a fire safety difference in their community by clearing fire hydrants of snow. Most fires in our community occur right at home, and while they can start small, they can grow fast. Seconds count in getting you and your family out of the home and ensuring quick access for the fire department.
How can you help?
• Plan and practice a home escape plan for each member of your family to get out of your home quickly and safely should a fire occur
•Remove any ice and snow away from fire hydrants on your property
•Clear a perimeter around the hydrant for a firefight to work (about 1m)
City of Markham residents who are unable to provide the winter hydrant care listed above may call the City of Markham Contact Centre to have their hydrant cleared at 905-477-5530.
(All above information is provided by the YRP and Markham Fire and Emergency Services)